The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding 5.0.4 is ready for download for TNG users. The Next Generation of Genealogy SitebuildingÂ© (“TNG”) is a powerful way to manage and display your genealogy data on the Internet, all without generating a single page of HTML. Instead, your information is stored in MySQL database tables and dynamically displayed in attractive fashion with PHP (a scripting language).
This is mostly small adjustments and bug fixes. There are no database changes, so there should be no problems with your databases, and this should be a quick update. You should always backup your database before making any changes though.
1. Addresses attached to events were not always being imported or displayed (fixed).
2. Spaces and periods have been removed from TNG cookie names because some servers couldn’t handle them.
3. Thumbnails on the What’s New page were not aligned with the top of their respective rows (fixed).
4. The “Suggest” tab was not changing to “Edit” on the showsource.php page, even after logging in with rights (fixed).
5. When displaying surnames first, the Register report was sometimes using the surname where it should have used the first name (fixed).
6. When the TNG menu was displayed as a dropdown list (instead of icons), the list would only take you to a new page if it was accompanied by a language switching dropdown (fixed).
7. The menu dropdown list did not include a link to the “Browse Sources” page (fixed).
8. If the max pedigree generations was set to less than 4, the number would revert to 1 instead (fixed).
9. Selecting a tree on the Headstones or “Show Map” pages would still show all headstones instead of narrowing the list to the selected tree (fixed).
10. When adding spouses to a family record, the gender of each spouse is no longer constrained (husband as male, wife as female).
11. Due to a typo, sources could not be deleted with the “Delete Selected” button (fixed).
12. The Marriage Type was not being displayed (fixed; bug introduced after 5.0.0).
13. Changing the order of multiple parent sets did not work and did not affect the pedigree chart (fixed).
14. An HTML-only version of the home page (called index_html.html) is now available (cannot do language switching or show if visitor is logged in).
15. The widths of the “Page” and “Citation Date” fields have been increased on the Add/Edit Citations screens.
16. When displaying “Photos & Histories” for an individual, logic now requires both a photo link *and* an actual photo be present (fixed; was previously only checking for links).
17. The Report generator’s custom SQL function did not allow a query to end in a semicolon (fixed).
18. The “Remember login” function was not working in the Admin area (fixed).
19. Addesses exported in a GEDCOM were not adhering to GEDCOM 5.5 standards, which meant data loss when the same file was imported back into TNG (fixed).
20. The presence of a DEAT tag without an accompanying date or place was not enough to get an individual labeled as deceased (fixed).
21. CSS validation errors removed from the standard pedigree chart, but Safari 2.0 problem persists. Additional bug reports submitted to Apple.
22. Validation for name and comments fields added to the “Suggest” page (text messages forthcoming).
23. GEDCOM media export now includes complete path (within “photos” or “histories” folder), whether Local Path is specified or not.
24. Photos linked to a living individual but marked “Always viewable” were still showing “Details withheld” on the What’s New and Browse Photos pages.
25. Some users were being directed to the correct page after a login, logout or change language operation (fixed).
26. Sources that directly followed notes in a GEDCOM were being assigned to the note and not the individual on import (fixed).
27. Database queries could not tell the difference between standard English alphabet characters and other similar characters (for example, “n” and “Ã±”; fixed).
- 1) The index_html.html page described in #14 above is only something you need to worry about if youâ€™re trying to edit the default home page using FrontPage or another â€œwysiwygâ€ editor that doesnâ€™t like PHP.
2) The last change (#27) required me to put back a MySQL function Iâ€™d previously removed, namely â€œbinaryâ€. That shouldnâ€™t be a problem for most of you, but I had removed it because older versions of MySQL canâ€™t handle it. If thatâ€™s you, you can turn â€œbinaryâ€ off by editing the new 5.0.4 globallib.php and changing $binary = â€œbinaryâ€ at the top to $binary = â€œâ€.
3) The name of the cookie TNG is storing has changed, per #2 above. Because of that, if you previously had TNG remembering that you were logged in, you will now find that you need to log in again after this.
Another Note from Darrin: Also, if you havenâ€™t used the new â€œimage mapâ€ feature yet, you might want to check it out. I just barely got to play with it tonight myself, and you can see the results by clicking on one of the top two photos on my â€œWhatâ€™s Newâ€ page (http://lythgoes.net/genealogy/whatsnew.php). Itâ€™s fun!