The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding 5.0 was recently released. This is a major upgrade. The Next Generation of Genealogy SitebuildingÂ© (“TNG”) is a powerful way to manage and display your genealogy data on the Internet, all without generating a single page of HTML. Instead, your information is stored in MySQL database tables and dynamically displayed in attractive fashion with PHP (a scripting language).
Some of the major features/updates added include a “Tentative Edit”, which is especially useful in the collaborative environment that TNG provides. People can make changes or suggestions without them becoming permanent until the adminsitrator reviews them. This should allow for much more “research-oriented” type trees/branches. There is also better place handling, a timeline event viewer was added where you can look at historical events in relation to your relatives. The interface has been improved, various views and reports have been added or adjusted for better usability.
Among the new features:
- * Tentative Edit: Allow users to make suggestions or submit changes that only become permanent upon your review.
* Dates & Anniversaries: Quickly find all individuals associated with any date in history.
* Places: Search all places, drill down through localities and merge duplicates.
* History Creator: Easily build histories and biographies with the same look and feel as the rest of your site.
* Timeline Events: Graph and compare the lifespans of an unlimited number of individuals on top of a backdrop of historical events important to your heritage.
* Easier setup: The installation guide has been redesigned to get you up and running faster and easier.
* Improved public interface: New tabs and icons put more options within reach of all visitors.
* More search options: Advanced Search page now lets you search on almost every event type.
* Better control over GEDCOM imports and exports, custom reports, display of “Living” information and much more.
* Plus many more improvements, including new pedigree views, collapsible descendancy charts, image maps and support for scanned documents!
Requirements: Web server, PHP, MySQL (For more information, please see the FAQ.